REQUIREMENTS TO IMPORT DOGS/CATS TO MALAYSIA
1. Cats or dogs must not be less than 3 months old at the time of importation.
2. Importation shall be accompanied by a valid import permit issued by the Department of Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services (MAQIS).
3. Importation shall be accompanied by Veterinary Health Certificate (VHC) issued by the Veterinary Authority of the exporting countries. Exportation must be made within 7 days from the date of issuance of the VHC.
4. Cat or dog shall be fitted with an identification microchip that complies with the ISO standard ( Std 11784 & 11785) .
5. For the importation of restricted breed dog, please get the approval of Director General of MAQIS before can be allowed to apply for an import permit.
6. Vaccination record book or pets passport shall contain the status of vaccination history, treatment given dan the latest health condition of the cat or dog.
7. The quarantine period varies according to the exporting countries and the cat or dog that required to undergo quarantine shall be quarantined at the Animal Quarantine Station upon arrival in Malaysia.
8. The consignment of animals shall be carried by aircraft or other mean of transportation direct to the prescribed landing place Malaysia.
CONDITION FOR THE APPROVAL OF IMPORTATION OF RESTRICTED BREED OF DOGS:
An approval to import restricted breeds of dogs shall be obtained in writing from the Director General of Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services Department (MAQIS) subject to the following conditions, prior to application of an import
1. Dogs shall not be less than 3 months of age at the time of import.
2. Dogs shall have a pedigree certificate issued by an approved organization in the country of export (name and address of the organization shall be specified).
3. Dogs shall be identified using an ISO (Std 11784 & 11785) compliant microchip and the identification codes clearly recorded in the pedigree certificate.
4. Name and address of the importer who shall be responsible for the care and handling of the dog shall be clearly stated in the application for approval.
5. The premise or residence of the dog shall be inspected by the Director General of MAQIS to verify the facilities regarding kennel, the size of the compound, safety and control of the dog.
6. The importer shall provide a written declaration that the dog ;
i. is a personal pet and not intended for sale (Importation of restricted breeds of dogs is allowed as a personal pet of the importer or for security purpose only)
ii. shall be kept secured within the compound at all times
iii. shall be kept on a leash and muzzled at all times in public area
iv. shall be under the control of a trained and skilled handler at all times (for Security Dogs)
LIST OF BANNED / RESTRICTED BREED OF DOGS
1. Restricted Breed of Dogs
a. Bull Mastiff
b. Bull Terrier
d. German Shepherd an including Belgian Shepard and East European Shepard
e. Perro de Presa Canario (also known as Canary Dog)
2. Banned Breed of Dogs
b. American Bulldog
c. Dogo Argentino
d. Fila Braziliero
e. Japanese Tosa
f. Neapolitan Mastiff
g. Pit Bull Terrier / Pit Bull (also known as American Pit Bull,American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier and
Staffordshire Bull Terrier)
QUARANTINE PERIOD AT THE AQS LIST OF COUNTRIES EXEMPTED FROM QUARANTINE REQUIREMENT
Dogs and cats from the United Kingdom, Eire, Northern Ireland, Sweden, New Zealand, Japan,
Brunei and Singapore are not subject to quarantine as long as the animal health conditions is good
and all documents are complete.
LIST OF COUNTRIES NOT EXEMPTED FROM QUARANTINE REQUIREMENT
Dogs and cats from other countries than the United Kingdom, Eire, Northern Ireland, Sweden, New
Zealand, Japan, Brunei and Singapore are subject to quarantine at least 7 days.
Dogs and cats from Australia are required in isolation for 10 days for the detection of Hendra
FEES AND CHARGES
Please refer The Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services
( Fees and Charges) Regulations 2013
By: Department of Malaysian Quarantine and Inspection Services(MAQIS) First Edition 2016